Gumbo GRAS RULES
All entries to be received by January 20, 2021. To Participate in the Gumbo Gras Cook-off, Team Registration will consist of up to 6 participants for $150.00.
Gumbo Team Set Up
Friday, January 29, 2021
- Audubon Park Shelter # 10 open for set up
- Security will be provided overnight from 6 PM - 6 AM (Saturday morning)
Saturday, January 30, 2021 | Day-of-Set-Up
Arrival - Between 6:30 AM | Gumbo Judging - 11:15 AM
Teams may begin to set up as soon as you arrive and check in at the registration table.
Doors open at 9 AM for the general public.
Judging begins at 11:15 AM.
Gumbo and serving will being around 11:45 AM
AROMA- Gumbo should smell appetizing
CONSISTENCY- Gumbo should be a smooth combination of meat or seafood or roux
COLOR- Gumbo should look appetizing and roux should be dark
TASTE- Gumbo should taste good :-)
AFTERTASTE- Gumbo should leave a pleasant taste after eating
PRESENTATION- Gumbo should be presented and served in an orderly and desirable fashion
Team Check In
All team captains must check-in with the Gumbo Gras Coordinator, Chrissie Trosclair, upon arrival at the Registration tent. You will be provided with your Team Number, Team Location, Official Serving Bowl for judging, and a Team Issued/Team Numbered Container for the People’s Choice Award Doubloons.
Basic Gumbo Cooking Rules
1. All entries must be completed and ready to be judged by 11:15 AM
2. The ingredients that accompany the gumbo (such as rice or pasta) must be provided by the team, if applicable
3. Each team must minimally cook 3-4 gallons of Gumbo - Only 1 cup will be required for judging. Gumbo teams must bring their judging cup 3/4 full
4. Gumbo teams can begin cooking once they have checked in with the Gumbo Coordinator and have received their judging cup.
5. Gumbo must to be prepared from scratch (no commercial gumbo mixes) on site day of Cook-off. Roux may be prepared in advance, if desired. All vegetables must be added on site and in raw form, but may be chopped and cut ahead of time.
5A. Proteins may be pre-cooked and/or prepared in any fashion prior to cook-off, if desired.
6. Gumbo must be cooked in the open (no mobile homes, trailers, closed tents etc)
7. Gumbo team will be given a “Team Number” upon entry which will be assigned to your bowl of gumbo upon judging. Make sure your numbers match when it comes time to judging. The head cook is responsible for making sure the judging cup and team number match accordingly
8. Once judging is completed, the gumbos will be served to all registrants immediately after judging is concluded at approximately 12 Noon - Please consider brining zip lock bags for people to take home gumbo.
9. The Team will be responsible for ensuring that the booth/tent is kept clean, during and after the event. Teams are responsible for their own garbage.
10. Failure to follow these rules will be grounds for disqualification. The gumbo coordinator and representatives of the Tucks Charitable Foundation reserve the right to make additional regulations as situations warrant.
11. Make sure the gumbo tastes awesome! :-)
What to Bring
Propane stove and fuel, fire extinguisher, cooking pots, serving utensils, tent (no larger than 10x10’), tables, chairs, ingredients and canopy decorations. No ground fires will be allowed, no electricity will be provided. Food permits are not required. Teams are encouraged and will be expected to follow all cleaning in sanitary rules.
What will be Provided
Each team will receive a space not less than 10 x 12', Umbrellas for each participant, wristbands for each participant, as well as, serving bowls/cups, spoons and napkins.
Engraved 2020 Umbrella Walk & Gumbo Gras, 20 Quart Stainless Steel Gumbo Pot
Awarded to the:
Peoples Choice Winner
Judges Choice Winner
Judges Choice Winner - Runner Up
Best Dressed Team
- Fun and Festive Costumes are always a hit!
Best Decorated Tent/Canopy
- Decorate you canopy in a unique and creative manner!
Best Team Name
- Best describe your team and your gumbo!
- Creativity will be awarded!
Most Enthusiastic Team
- Team that is engaged with the crowd the most and having fun!